For as long as chilaquiles have existed this has always been the big debate, a great part of Mexicans think that green chilaquiles are the best and the first ones to be invented, however other Mexicans debate that the red ones are way better, and are the original ones, since salsa is almost always red. Whether you prefer ones or the other there is no chance you don’t like them.
This recipe is for red chilaquiles, because the author of this article thinks they are the best and most easy to make. So let this article be prove that making Mexican food is not as hard as it seem.
- 4 tomatos
- ¼ of a white onion
- 1 jalapeño (whole)
- 1 garlic clove (pealed)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 bag of tortilla chips (without flavoring)
- ¼ cup shredded cheese per serving
- ¼ cup of pulled chicken (remove it for a vegetarian option)
- 2 tsp of cream
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 1. Boil in a pot with a cup of water the sauce ingredients.
- Step 2. Once the Jalapeño is soft and the water has started to turn red pour into a mixer. To finish the sauce add salt and return to the pot to finish cooking.
- Step 3. In a plate put as many tortilla chips as desired and top it with the pulled chicken.
- Step 4. Once the sauce has the desired consistency pour over the plate.
- Step 5. Add the cheese and cream, if the sauce is hot enough the cheese should melt, if not just heat up in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Perfect! your Mexican food is ready, you can serve it with some beans or avocado, as a side dish or with whatever crazy toppings you think of, in Mexico some people even put fried eggs or steak as it’s mainly a breakfast dish. So Gutten Appetit!
If you want to see what some Germans thought about eating chilaquiles for the first time, this article might interest you.